[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Running OSKit in Linux user mode

  I'm trying to get OSKit 0.97 to run on Linux so I can debug my
application in a non-embedded style. I'm writing NILO, a GPL'd network
boot loader. It's similar to OSKit's netboot, but the two main differences
is NILO will have full compliance with Intel's PXE specification. (a net
booting and base ROM support spec) The other is that Nilo will have a
more complex tagged image format for boot images so it can handle things
like RAM disk sizing. The web page is at www.nilo.org. Currently Nilo
runs as a Unix task, and does the DHCP (extensions to bootp) and TFTP
steps to load a file. Now I'm adding ethernet device support, using
OSKit's device driver framework.

  Here's where I'd like to be able to to run Nilo as a Linux task, yet have
it talking to the ethernet hardware. I managed to get unix_support.o to build,
and I built the libfreebsd.a. (on Linux) I just haven't been able to get the
unix examples to build to the point they'll run...

  So after scouring the docs, I thought I'd see if there is any accumulated
info on how to do this. Also any pointers on how to use the device driver
framework would be great, although I'm figuring I can pull that out of the
netboot sources.

	- rob -