[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [Fwd: Overriding stuff from OSKit libs, some random remarks, and patches]

> From: Leigh Stoller <stoller@fast.cs.utah.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Overriding stuff from OSKit libs, ....
>
> Hope everyone is happy with this ...

Okay, so maybe not everyone. Our reason for not making this the default
behaviour is, in Kevin's words, because routines in the same file may have
dependancies on each other, and it is impossible to tell if a routine in a
file can be replaced and everything will "just work".

Ideally, routines that are independantly replacable are in separate
files, and ones that are not are in the same file.  For the exceptions
(like some of the string routines), where they are in the same file because
they reuse the same code, but are basically independant, we have already
tried to mark them as "weak".

In other (Leigh's) words, the potential for introducing hard to track bugs
is increased for everyone else, and its probably better if people who need
this behaviour add it themselves.

Lbs

Leigh B. Stoller                     Computer Science - Flux Research Group
stoller@cs.utah.edu                  University of Utah
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~stoller      Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
Voice: (541) 758-6252                FAX: (801) 585-3743