[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Moronic Monologue. =Z

> > Source code is relatively inaccessable to me because *ALL* unix
> > editors suck really really hard.

> You just have to sit down and learn one.  Pick up an O'Reilly book on
> emacs or vi.

You don't even have to do that.  Last time I had to develop code for
both Windows and Unix, I used a standard Windows editor with no
trouble at all.  From memory, the choices are something like:

o notepad: doesn't work because it requires CRLF at the end of lines.
  (You can patch the source code to use CRLF with a one-line perl
   command - but why bother - notepad is a lousy editor.)

o Visual C++ editor: works great.
  You might need to set the tab size to 8 instead of 4.
  Again, you could patch the sources using a simple Perl script.

o almost any other editor developed for Win{95,98,NT} (ie post-3.1).
  Work just fine.

And, of course, you can get copies of all the standard Unix editors
should you change your mind.

[Metanote:
 Unix vs Windows arguments (and associated flame-bait) don't seem to
 serve much purpose on this list.  I believe there are newsgroups
 dedicated to such subjects for those with too much free time on their
 hands.

 Questions about how to use Unix tools on Windows might be reasonable
 subjects for this list.  Whilst there are many, many sources of
 information about basic stuff like editors, some of the more subtle
 tricks we play on linkers and compilers are fairly OSKit-specific
 and could probably use a little explaining.
]

--
Alastair Reid        reid@cs.utah.edu        http://www2.cs.utah.edu/~reid/