[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: No Luck with Kaffe/OSKit

>         The content of commandline is:
>         CLASSPATHFILE=/etc/kaffe_classpath CWD=/home/ykyong/java -- HelloWorld
>
>         I have tried many different ways to create the Kaffe/OSKit image
> but still get the following error...:

>         Creating OS environment
>         Initializing device drivers...
>         Currently registered device drivers:
>         Probing devices...
>         Current hardware tree:
>             java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: root=/dev/hda3
>                 at java.lang.Throwable.<init> (Throwable.java:38)
>                 at java.lang.Error.<init> (Error.java:21)
>                 at java.lang.LinkageError.<init> (LinkageError.java:21)
>                 at java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.<init>
> (NoClassDefFoundError.java:21)

I'm pretty sure ou are building the image correctly, but Kaffe/OSKit
only looks at the commandline *file* if there are *no* parameters on
the "real" kernel command line.  It seems your boot loader is passing
"root=/dev/hda3" to the real kernel main(), so config/i386/oskit/md.c
does not run get_fake_commandline() (the routine which parses the
commandline file).

The easiest solution (for me :) is to have GRUB stop putting
"root=/dev/hda3" on the command line.  Looks like a leftover from a
linux kernel.   Otherwise, you might try changing the test in
start_real_oskit() (in config/i386/oskit/md.c) to always run
get_fake_commandline().... you'll want to turn the printf's in that
function back on.  I'm not sure if it will overwrite or append stuff
from the file to the new command line.

Hope this helps,  let us know what you do if you get it working.
Otherwise, let us know what blows up next... :)

(BTW, thanks for all the info on your build and its contents.
Invaluable.)

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
		     "Forty-Two." -- Deep Thought