[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: User context-switching!

As the context switching is user level, the kernel need not be involved.
The task (no pun intended) is rather simple. Simply save a few registers,
and switch stacks. Can use a similar mechanism as setjmp/longjmp.

Any registers can simply be pushed onto the stack. That way, the stack
contains the entire context of the task. As the context is all on the
stack, the stack switch is also the context switch.

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Johan Rydberg wrote:

>Hi!
>
>When will (if every) the OSKit implement some form of
>context-switching in ring 3?  I mean, real user mode
>threads (or prcesses)?
>
>--
>Johan Rydberg			johan.rydberg@netinsight.net
>Net Insight AB, Sweden		direct: +46-8-685 04 17
>http://www.netinsight.net	phone:  +46-8-685 04 00
>				fax:    +46-8-685 04 20

Follow-Ups: References: