[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: porting OCaml on OSKit

Jay Lepreau <lepreau@cs.utah.edu> writes:
> I was at a meeting earlier this week and learned that Greg
> Morrisett's group at Cornell has ported OCaml to the OSKit, in the
> course of getting TAL running on the OSKit.  At least I think that's
> what was involved.  So maybe they can just give the Caml part to
> you.

Okay, I was the one in Greg's group to get OCaml (2.02) working under
OSKit on Linux (Debian).  I've been keeping quiet because I know my
porting job wasn't great and I don't have access to my notes this
week, but now that I know Greg will be asking me tomorrow, here's what
I've been able to rediscover.

All I really needed to do is recompile the library
byterun/libcamlrun.a against the OSKit libc, since that's the minimum
needed to run OCaml bytecodes.  OCaml's configure script needs to be
modified so that it grabs the right libraries.  Unfortunately there's
no clean way to do that, since the configure script wasn't designed
for cross-compiling.  (It tries to compile and run snippets of C code
using the same libc.)  So I copied configure to configure-oskit and
tried to hard-code as many configuration decisions as I could.  (This
means it won't necessarily work on other platforms anymore.)  I'll
mail the file (16K) to anyone who asks.  Then just ./configure and
make byterun/libcamlrun.a, I think.

The above may be incorrect and/or incomplete.  Improvements are
welcome.  Good luck.

Matthew