[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: booting on arm

> From: Johan Rydberg <johan.rydberg@netinsight.se>
> Subject: booting on arm
>
> Have anyone thought about adopting the multiboot standard to
> the arm-architecture?

Well, yes we did. There is an OFW->Multiboot adaptor in oskit/boot/ofw.  It
allows you to create an OFW-bootable image from a MultiBoot-compliant
kernel plus any arbitrary boot-modules. There is a mkofwimage script, and a
linker script to make sure the image gets linked the way the OFW likes.

In short, ofwboot.o operates using the OFW entrypoints to load a multiboot
compliant image. We took a few shortcuts. For example, we did not implement
netboot using the adaptor, but since the OFW firmware presents a perfectly
adequate interactive command interpreter for loading binaries, this seems
okay.

Lbs

Leigh B. Stoller                     Computer Science - Flux Research Group
stoller@cs.utah.edu                  University of Utah
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~stoller      Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
Voice: (541) 929-2666                FAX: (801) 585-3743