[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how to define diskname and patition in netbsd?

Here's some comments I wrote when I first messed with disks and
partitions.  Running the disk partition example, I found that the disk
on my machine contained hda4 and I guessed it was probably a FreeBSD
partition.  I then asked a FreeBSD expert to explain FreeBSD naming
schemes:

-- Steve explains the BSD naming scheme:
--   wd = western digital (first maker of IDE hard disks)
--   0  = physical disk 0
--   s4 = slice 4 (ie 4th DOS partition)
--        (corresponds to hda4 which is what my disk contains)
--   a  = root "partition"  (logical partitions added by BSD)
--   b  = swap "partition"
--   c  = alias for entire slice (wd0s4)
--   d  = alias for entire disk  (wd0)
-- But now the tricky part: since we have already chosen the device,
-- there's no need to mention it again so we omit the wd0 part.

Armed with that knowledge, I went for diskname=hda and partition=s4a.

Hope this helps,

Alastair