[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The fsnamespace cache doesn't work without multithread

> From: Simon Nieuviarts <snieuvia@ensisun.imag.fr>
> Subject: The fsnamespace cache doesn't work without multithread
>
> I have verified what I said last evening. The erroneous behaviour of the
> fsnamespace object in a monothreaded program disappears when using the
> multithreaded version of the fsnamespace library. I think there is
> something to re-think there.

Yep, I agree. I mostly operate in the multithreaded world, so my thinking
was obviously biased! I'll fix those ifdefs up this week.

> Nevertheless, I am having another trouble with the fsnamespace and my NFS
> client.

A harder problem to deal with. The cache is rather simple minded, and is
rolled into the lookup code. Thats the problem; inappropriate layering of
components for what you want to do. The cache should probably be seperate
from the lookup code. Needs a bunch more thought before we do anything.

What can we do in the meantime?

Lbs

Leigh B. Stoller                     Computer Science - Flux Research Group
stoller@cs.utah.edu                  University of Utah
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~stoller      Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
Voice: (541) 929-2666                FAX: (801) 585-3743