[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Basic C Programming

I've succeeded in getting the hello.c example kernel to work, however, I'm
now having trouble understanding HOW it all works.  I'm sure this is because
of deficiencies in my knowledge of C programming. If someone could take the time
to answer a few (probably elementary) questions I have, it would be appreciated.

1) I've gotten as far as when the function "oskit_services_create(....)" is
called.  Within this function
  "oskit_lookup_first(&oskit_mem_iid, (void *) &memi)"
is called.  I can't seem to find where the variable "oskit_mem_iid" is
previously defined.

2) Even worse, within "oskit_lookup_first(...)", the function
  "oskit_services_lookup_first(global_registry, iid, out_intf)"
 is called.  As far as I can tell this function doesn't exist anywhere in oskit.
There are other functions that I can't find, such as
  "oskit_services_addservice(..)" , leading me to believe there is something
basic I don't understand about C programming.

3) I have a third question, if the above isn't too much.  I don't understand
how the hello.c file knows which files to be linked in when being compiled.
In the GNUmakerules there is a gcc statement that includes
"-loskit_clientos" etc. which I assume is an instruction to link in certain
files.  However, I can't seem to find what "oskit_clientos" refers to.  If
you could point me in the correct general direction it would be appreciated.

My apologies for asking such basic questions.  I know this is not the
appropriate forum for learning C programming, however, I figured someone on
this list would be the most familiar with this particular code.

Thanks again for any help someone might have.
Dennis Dixon
P.O. Box 1896
Fort Bragg, CA  95437

(707) 964-2979