[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fluke

> I'm interested in building Fluke. The version that I have been able to
> find is 0.5. Is that the latest available version?

Yup, afraid so.

> There was a note in
> the readme that a later release was coming. Has that been released yet?

Nope; basically we shut down the Fluke project and moved on to new
things.  We did some work after the kernel source snapshot but not a
lot.

> Also, It's not entirely clear to me how to build Fluke. Release 0.5 does
> not have a configure script list the OSKIT. How could I build Fluke?

We only put out the kernel part of Fluke, not all the servers and
libraries.  The immediate goal was to provide kernel source for people
to study, as it related to our OSDI'99 paper on Fluke kernel execution
models.  Because we split it off from the main tree it wasn't buildable.

Clearly we need to send out the rest of the system.  Mostly we've just
been too busy to do the cleanup that would make us feel comfortable.
We still intend to do so.

Fluke had indirect impact you may be interested in.  The "Flask"
security architecture underlying the cool NSA project "Security
Enhanced Linux" (SELinux, http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/ ) was prototyped
in/on Fluke before they did it on Linux.  Flask-in-Fluke took a very
aggressive approach to security and assurance that was moderated for
the macrokernel Linux world.  There's a joint paper about Flask on our
pubs page.