[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

oskit on cygwin

Hi,

    Has anyone had any success getting the oskit to compile under Cygwin? I've been trying for some time now, with no success. I first tried configuring without any cross tools, just using the native cygwin ports (cygwin 1.1.8). The configure works, but the tests for an a.out linker and support for -format and -oformat binary fail. Fair enough - Cygwin provides a pe linker. So I attempted to build cross-compile tools a la the instructions on the eCos pages - basically compiling for i386-elf. Again no joy, with the same problems in configure. I've since tried a number of other cross configurations, in particular configuring binutils to enable all targets, but I still seem to fail in the same place in the configure script. I really don't understand this, as I thought that if I enabled all targets then one of the targets would be a.out, and that it would certainly support binary formats. I did also attempt to build the i386-mach cross mentioned in a recent mail to this list, but my build of gcc fails saying I need to build libgcc. Unfortunately this is well past the edge of my ignorance, as I've only recently started playing with this kind of stuff and am not a *nix user.

I understand that the oskit is mainly used and developed using freebsd or linux, but I'm not keen to run either of those os's when cygwin exists and seems to work pretty well. It'd be great if someone else has done what I'm trying to do and and can point me in the right direction. I've had a bit of a trawl through this list looking for something similar to my problem, as well as google searches looking for any other useful information, but to no avail (or at least, nothing that obviously seems to be of help)

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should go about this? Or even just a blanket "it can't be done for these reasons" would be nice, in case I'm banging my head against a brick wall with this.

The tools I'm trying to do this with are:

binutils-2.10
gcc-2.95.2
insight-5.0
oskit-20010214