[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: can you help me?

>dear sir:
>   i'm a college student.i feel interested in oskit recently.and now
>i'm tring to learn the examples.but had some difficulty in booting
>some of them.
>   i use 'mklinuximage' to get image file,then add the image to a item
>in lilo.conf file.but i was warned of 'the kernel is too big' when i run
>lilo.the same warning appears when i try to boot from floppy.
>so i can't boot a lot of the example kernels!
>   can you help me whith it? thank you very much!
>   by the way ,where can i find a complete and little OS example which is
>made useing oskit ? thank you again!
>                                yours  lawranceyang@263.net

	Lilo is not the best boot loader to boot oskit kernels.  The problem being
that lilo (to the best of my knowledge) is not multi-boot compliant (the
linux zimage and bzimage kernel formats aren't either).  I'm not too sure
what mklinuximage does exactly because i have never used it.  I however do
use the GNU GRUB boot loader which can be put on a floppy and/or your hard
disk.  It can boot images of reiserfs, ext2, minix, and msdos partitions
too.
	Just be sure that you link your kernel with mutltiboot.o and your kernel
will be multiboot compliant.  And i believe that multiboot kernels may need
the following headers: oskit/clientos.h, and oskit/startup.h.
	You should be able to get the GRUB boot loader from
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/ (the one's that end int .ext2fs can be put
directly on to a floppy like this--> dd if=filename.ext2fs of=/dev/fd0  )
If you have problems dowloading it from there you can try my site
http://cc275354-a.pinev1.in.home.com/linux/grub-0.5961-i386-pc.ext2fs  .

	I am also 90% sure if you still wish to use mklinuximage that the GRUB boot
loader will still be able to boot your kernel (have not time to test this),
but I strongly suggest that you link it with multiboot.o.  If you are unsure
about how to to do this just look into the example folder for the x86 and
you should find some makefile examples.