[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: VMware 3.1 + Remote GDB

At Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:54:08 -0400 (EDT),
Stephen A Muckle <smuckle@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> While this question doesn't pertain directly to OSKit, I'd imagine
> a lot of you run your kernels with VMware and debug them with GDB
> remotely, so it's fairly relevant.
>
> Has anyone upgraded to VMware 3.1 and tried to use remote gdb? They redid
> the serial implementation and took out the old tty style support. I was
> not able to get remote gdb working with any of the remaining serial port
> types.
>
> It's a pity VMware seems to be taking out some of the really cool
> features. Another cool thing that's gone is that there is no longer a
> utility to mount virtual disks into the host filesystem, due to their new
> virtual disk file format.
>
> cheers,
> steve

You don't have to be depressed.
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/ts/ws31ts_peripherals2.html reads:

When I start VMware Workstation, I see an error: Unknown serial type tty.

VMware Workstation 3.1 contains a new implementation for its virtual
serial ports that does not support the TTY type of serial port, which
actually uses pseudo-TTY objects on a Linux system. You may be running
a virtual machine with a TTY type of serial port created with an older
version of VMware Workstation.

Pseudo-TTY objects are no longer supported in VMware Workstation
because of their asymmetrical nature (the master end has the semantics
of a pipe, whereas the slave end has the semantics of a TTY), which is
not suitable for communication between two virtual machines.

However, if you want to use pseudo-TTY, you need to modify the
configuration file for the virtual machine to use the older serial
port implementation. Open the configuration file (.vmx on Windows
hosts, .cfg on Linux hosts) in a text editor and add the following
line:

serial.v2=False

If you decide to use the older serial port implementation in your
virtual machine, this affects all serial ports in the virtual
machine. You cannot use the pipe type for a virtual serial port (which
actually uses Unix socket objects on a Linux system) in the virtual
machine and the virtual serial port will not perform as well as it
does under the new implementation.

To revert back to the new implementation, remove the line you added to
the configuration file.

Regards,

--
Kota