[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

You don't want to read this....

But I'm gonna post it anyway. =P

This project is obsolete.

I am not saying that the software has an archane design or that it has been
supplanted by a better design (though either may infact be the case). I am
saying something entirely more radical. The concept of operating system as
a piece of software is on its deathbed. We are all aware of the problems of
multiple concurrent processes running on a machine and the issues reducable
to "contention for resources" which they create. All who have studied the
contemporary solutions to this issue are aware of the many rather inelegant
and arbitary hacks that have been implemented and the high cost in terms of
latancy that are brought on with contemporary techniques. Within the last
few weeks I have finally begun to understand what the Tunes project is all
about. Their project seeks to eliminate the kernel and all the enforcement
mechanisms that sap performance. The method they are using to accomplish
this is to first prohibit direct access to the machine. All programs must
be compiled or interprited. Then, in order to solve the contention
problems, restrict each program's access to symbols that allow the program
to talk about various services. Thereby access can be controlled and
servers can be written such that they provide "safe symbols". As noted by
Tunes and Vapour the filesystem is obsolete too but I like files so I'm
going to keep them in mine as an option. =)
These are projects that are attempting to implement this:

tunes.org
Vapour
mine, no real docs up yet (netscape composer crashed)... =\
I am going to need a much cleaner platform to develop on. The PC is just
too kludgy for me. =\

--
To whomever it may concern: DO NOT RECCOMEND A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE TO ME
WITHOUT PROVIDING COMPLETE BIBILOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION ON WHAT YOU THINK