[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OSkit help!

Hi Murali,

I've CC'd the public OSKit list, which is the best place for these
questions.  Also, this way my the answer will be archived.

> We are planning to use the Flux OSkit for implementing a new
> scheduler. We were wondering if we could use the Flux kit for this
> purpose. To reduce the development time, we thought of first testing
> our scheduler on an emulated OS.

The OSKit should be an excellent way to develop a thread(?)
scheduler.  (Other schedulers, too).  There are already three
different schedulers in the basic thread library, so adding another
should be straightforward...

> We read the following documentation at your site:
> (http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/unixmode.html)
>
> > The OSKit can be used on bare hardware or emulated under Unix.The Unix
> > emulation code replaces the kernel support and device drivers,
> > allowing the same OSKit kernel to run as a process on a Unix system
>
> I would like to know, whether do we need root permission to allow
> "OSKit kernel to run as a process on a Unix system". That is, can we
> run OSkit kernel as a user process and test our new scheduler?

You don't need to be root.  The resulting OSKit binary from a
unix-mode link is just a regular application.  It does not require any
special privs to run the threading examples.  However, if you want to
do low-level networky things, you'll need access to the raw network
device.  If you want to do low-level disk things, you may want access
to a raw disk device.

To try it, build the unix-mode threading examples.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
 Indifference may cause the downfall of mankind, but who really cares?